Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Vivian update

Time for an update!!  It has been a while since I have done an update on Vivian.  She is a busy girl these days!! 

First off, preschool is going great!  The first few weeks were tough and involved a lot of crying in the mornings on the way to school.  Now there are no more tears on school days and she is always such a happy girl when I pick her up.  She is playing and painting and singing with her "friends" and all the those things kids do at preschool.  She is even learning to pump on a swing!

We celebrated our first Chinese New Year together with some very special friends and had a blast.



Vivian is still loving her ballet class.  I stand just outside the door so she is very happy during ballet because she can see me the entire time.  She is in a class with girls a bit younger than her and it is a good fit.  It was observation day last week so I was able to go in and take a few pictures of our little ballerina.



She has also started gymnastics.  Kate is taking classes and every week Vivian would cry to go with her.  She would see Kate getting ready and would go find an old leotard of Kate's and put it on and ask to do "nastics".  So finally I gave in and signed her up.  As long as I stay within her eye sight, she has a ball!  She is in a class with girls her own age and so they are a little more advanced than her right now.  But, I have no doubt she will catch up quickly.

 
 
Had to include this picture because it shows how small Vivian is compared to her peers
 
 
 We had a follow up appointment with her pediatric cardiologist, who reported her heart is "perfect". 
 
 
 In the rest of her free time Vivi is just enjoying life and all things that come with being 3 years old.  Still eating everything and anything.  Her language improves every day and she is really talking a lot.  She is loving the warmer weather and has learned to ride bikes and scooters and big wheels.
 


Like many other 3 year olds she has decided she does not need a nap anymore.  I was hoping napping would last a bit longer, but oh well.  She has also learned to climb out of her pack-and-play (that was NOT a skill I was anxious for her to learn) so she is now in a "big girl" bed. Luckily, she sleeps like a champ so the transition has not been an issue.  She is working on perfecting the art of throwing a fit when someone tells her no (she would be better at her "fit throwing" except that not many people in this house tell her no). She still hates if I am out of her sight and has not gotten any better with babysitters, so we stay close to home most of the time.   All in all, she is just a typical toddler and, in our opinion, is doing awesome.
 
I am so enjoying this time with her.  It is fun to have a 3 year old around again.  There was a time when I thought I was done with preschool and naps and first ballet classes and so I can appreciate being here because I know from my older three that this "season" will end just as quickly as it began.  This time of Vivian being home with me will be over before I know it.
 
 
I appreciate that right now Vivian is happy.  She spends her days, like most 3 year olds, without a worry in the world. 
 
Sometimes I can't help but worry about what the next "phase" of life might bring.  As Vivian grows and matures and becomes more aware of her story, I wonder what that will mean for her and for us.  Right now things are so SIMPLE.  One day they will not be.  One day she will ask me questions.  Questions like "why" and "how" and questions that I don't have all the answers to and questions I can't think about right now without ending up in tears.
 
 
 
 
I WANT her to ask these questions.  She NEEDS to ask these questions.  I hope she will always feel that she can ask Rob and I these questions.  I just worry about responding in the "right" way.  I want to have the perfect words and the best explanations, but I just don't know what they are. 

Mostly, I want her to know that for all the things I DON'T know,  I DO know how much I love her.  I know how much Rob loves her and how much the kids love her and how much her grandparents and her aunts and uncles and cousins love her.  That is the one thing I am absolutely certain of.
 
 
"oh darling don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple"
                                                                                     -Taylor Swift 





4 comments:

  1. Little Vivian is just beautiful! My husband and I are attending our first information meeting to consider beginning the journey to adopt a little girl from China tomorrow. Your story is an inspiration! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Vivian is so sweet.
    I find myself much in your words, our little Junqian today is a normal child of nearly three years like all the other kids his age (... except that he's tiny!) But one day, maybe not too far away, he will ask about his past and his "why" will be perhaps the toughest test we all have to face.
    I pray to God that love is sufficient to explain all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Maureen! Always love the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow she is doing so wonderful!!!!!! I can't believe those girls are the same age!!!!! That is how it is when we go to church. Mia is the little bit in the class. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS